European Union (EU) Nationals

Since the Brexit vote there has been some confusion about the rights of EU nationals in the UK.

The Home Office have announced there are no changes to the rights of EU members and their families (including non EU family members) to exercise their Treaty Rights in the UK. Any changes will not come into force until the UK has left the EU. It is anticipated this will take 2 years after the formal act of resignation.

EU Nationals may exercise their Treaty rights in the following main ways:

  • working
  • self-employment
  • self-sufficient
  • studying
  • looking for work (if certain conditions are met)

After you have lived in the UK as a qualified person for a continuous period of five years, you can apply for confirmation of permanent residence. This will prove your right to live permanently in the UK.  After a further year you can apply for British citizenship.

Nationals of the EU, Swiss nationals and their families continue to have the right to come to the UK to visit, live or work. If you have a right to live the in the UK, your family may join you here.
Other relatives do not have an automatic right to live in the UK but need to demonstrate that they are dependent on you.

If your family members are not EU or Swiss nationals and they are coming to live with you permanently or on a long-term basis, they will need to apply for a family permit before coming to the UK. This permit is similar to a visa. If they are presently in the UK the application may be made from inside the UK.

Please call our immigration lawyers on 020 8952 1587 for your free initial assessment.


Enquiry Form