Dependants - Bringing Family Members to the UK

PK Immigration Lawyers are experts in re-uniting families by bringing family members to the UK from overseas. Once you have achieved settled status in the UK, you are eligible to bring family members and dependants from overseas to join you to live in the UK.

We are highly experienced in bringing your family members to join you in the UK. There are many routes into the UK for dependants of someone with settled status in the UK. If you have a wife, spouse or civil partner that you would like to join you in the UK there are specific visa categories. If you have any dependant relatives that you want to bring to the UK, there are certain requirements that must be met, and we would suggest you contact us to discuss your individual needs.

Marriage / Spouse Visa

A marriage visa or spouse visa for the UK enables your husband, wife or partner to apply for leave to enter, or leave to remain in the UK on the basis that they are married/partner to a person who is present and settled in the UK. Settled status means that you are living here lawfully with no time limit on your stay.

In order to qualify for the spouse or marriage visa you must fulfil the following requirements:

  • you are legally married to each other or are in a durable partnership recognised in the UK
  • your husband, wife or civil partner is present and settled in the UK
  • you both intend to live together permanently and have met each other before 
  • you can support yourselves and any dependants without any help from public funds
  • you have suitable accommodation and are both over 18.

Children of the marriage who are under 18 years of age will be granted entry to the UK as dependants and will be able to make their application at the same time as the main applicant. After a total period of 5 years in the country, if you meet the residence requirements, you may then apply for British naturalisation in order to remain in the country under a grant of UK citizenship.

You are able to work on a marriage/partner visa as it affords you the same rights as your spouse, who is settled in the UK.

Fiancé Visa

The Fiancé Visa allows a person to bring their fiancé to join them in the UK with the intention of getting married within the six months period of the visa. They must have settled status as a permanent resident or British citizen and both parties must be over 18 years old. 

After you are married, you may apply for further leave to remain in the UK beyond the six-month period, based on their marriage. After 5 years you may apply for indefinite leave to remain (also known as permanent residence), as long as the marriage continues. 

You must also be able to prove that you have met each other, that you plan to live together permanently after your marriage and have a place to reside without any help from public funds and be able to support any dependants without working or receiving help from public funds. 

Only after an applicant's fiancé visa is changed to a marriage visa are they able to start working and hold the same rights as their spouse. 

Please call our immigration lawyers on 020 8952 1587 for your free initial assessment.


Enquiry Form

or call us on
+44 (0)20 8952 1587